Below the Surface – Taiji to the TRAINED Eye
Christmas Day, Taiji
After yesterday’s unthinkable — leave alone unspeakable — slaughter and abduction of pantropical spotted dolphins in the cove, we wanted to make mention of the numbers. First, it’s not an issue of quantity, it’s an issue of quality. In this case, the dolphins abducted for a “non-life” in captivity will have no quality whatsoever to their lives. Second, the killing of one dolphin is as profound as the killing of many.
When the killing numbers are reported by the untrained eye, the numbers simply cannot be trusted. When I monitor the goings-on at the cove, after 50 years of dolphin experience, my mind’s eye sees below the surface. I am acutely aware of the untold numbers — the very young, the very old and the sick — who simply cannot keep up as the rest of the pod flee for their lives. These dolphins who lose their lives simply sink to the bottom, uncounted. Then there are the dolphins who are fatally injured, babies who are aborted, and others.” ~ Ric O’Barry, Founder/Director of Dolphin Project
The reality is, you cannot trust the untrained observer, the fishermen or the fisheries agency that publishes the numbers. A great number of dolphins died yesterday, not just one.
Please consider joining Ric O’Barry’s Dolphin Project on the front lines in Taiji as a Cove Monitor, or making a donation to keep our campaign going.
Our work is only possible through the generous support of activists like you.
- BREAKING: Pacific White-Sided Dolphins Captured in Taiji - February 19, 2017
- Hunters Joyous as Risso’s Fight to Stay Alive - February 13, 2017
- Activists to Korea: Stop Importing Taiji-Caught Dolphins - February 9, 2017
- Go Cruelty-Free This Spring Break - February 7, 2017
- Learning Equals Empowerment - January 26, 2017
- BREAKING: 99 Hours of Hell - January 24, 2017
- BREAKING: Taiji’s Vile Abuse of Dolphins – Day 4 - January 23, 2017
- BREAKING: Terror, Injuries During Day 3 of Captive Selection - January 22, 2017
- BREAKING: Real-Time Brutality in Cove as Dolphins Held Another Night - January 21, 2017
- BREAKING: Massive Pod of Bottlenose Dolphins Captured in Taiji - January 20, 2017
It might be true that we don't recall many moments from our early years. However, Cara's first memory of a dolphin had her begging her parents to ask the trainer to let the dolphin go! The problem with captivity was evident to her, even as a 4 year-old child.
A writer by trade, Cara has researched, investigated and documented dolphins suffering in captivity. From documenting dolphins incarcerated in buildings, cut-off from fresh air, sunlight and normal socialization to researching cases of animals imprisoned in solitary confinement, Cara is a dedicated dolphin welfare advocate.
It is her belief that education equals empowerment. The more information shared, the better our choices and knowledge of how to act as a positive and respectful voice for dolphins across the world.
Cara is based out of Canada and makes time whenever possible to observe dolphins in their natural environments. She is writing her first fiction novel but knowing her, the marine world will play a prominent role in her book!
"The use of animals for entertainment is nothing more than an abuse of dominance. Some of the most sentient species on the planet have been exploited to incomprehensible levels, all due to their inherent benevolence. Ironic, considering that we turn to the abused themselves for displays of humanity."
~ Cara Sands
- BREAKING: Balikpapan City Says NO to Dolphin Shows
- The Trio of Deaths – Keltie Byrne
- Seven Years On: Revisiting the Death of Dawn Brancheau
- BREAKING: Pacific White-Sided Dolphins Captured in Taiji
- Hunters Joyous as Risso’s Fight to Stay Alive
- Activists to Korea: Stop Importing Taiji-Caught Dolphins