Breaking: Barcelona Zoo Dolphinarium to Close
What better way to end 2016 with news of the imminent closure of yet another dolphinarium!
On December 22, Barcelona’s City Council voted not to build a new dolphinarium. As the current facilities at the Barcelona Zoo were deemed to not meet minimum requirements, the dolphin show will be closed, and the mammals, relocated.
“We congratulate FAADA on their tireless work to raise awareness of the conditions the dolphins have endured at this facility, and the City of Barcelona on taking a stand against the captivity of dolphins.” ~ Richard O’Barry, Founder/Director of Dolphin Project.
Barcelona will be the first city in Spain to close a dolphinarium.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
TAKE THE PLEDGE TO NOT BUY A TICKET TO A DOLPHIN SHOW!
It’s fast, it’s simple and it’s effective. Take the Pledge now and share with your friends!
Featured image: Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license, photo: Jordiferrer
- BREAKING: Pacific White-Sided Dolphins Captured in Taiji - February 19, 2017
- Hunters Joyous as Risso’s Fight to Stay Alive - February 13, 2017
- Activists to Korea: Stop Importing Taiji-Caught Dolphins - February 9, 2017
- Go Cruelty-Free This Spring Break - February 7, 2017
- Learning Equals Empowerment - January 26, 2017
- BREAKING: 99 Hours of Hell - January 24, 2017
- BREAKING: Taiji’s Vile Abuse of Dolphins – Day 4 - January 23, 2017
- BREAKING: Terror, Injuries During Day 3 of Captive Selection - January 22, 2017
- BREAKING: Real-Time Brutality in Cove as Dolphins Held Another Night - January 21, 2017
- BREAKING: Massive Pod of Bottlenose Dolphins Captured in Taiji - January 20, 2017
It might be true that we don't recall many moments from our early years. However, Cara's first memory of a dolphin had her begging her parents to ask the trainer to let the dolphin go! The problem with captivity was evident to her, even as a 4 year-old child.
A writer by trade, Cara has researched, investigated and documented dolphins suffering in captivity. From documenting dolphins incarcerated in buildings, cut-off from fresh air, sunlight and normal socialization to researching cases of animals imprisoned in solitary confinement, Cara is a dedicated dolphin welfare advocate.
It is her belief that education equals empowerment. The more information shared, the better our choices and knowledge of how to act as a positive and respectful voice for dolphins across the world.
Cara is based out of Canada and makes time whenever possible to observe dolphins in their natural environments. She is writing her first fiction novel but knowing her, the marine world will play a prominent role in her book!
"The use of animals for entertainment is nothing more than an abuse of dominance. Some of the most sentient species on the planet have been exploited to incomprehensible levels, all due to their inherent benevolence. Ironic, considering that we turn to the abused themselves for displays of humanity."
~ Cara Sands
- BREAKING: Balikpapan City Says NO to Dolphin Shows
- The Trio of Deaths – Keltie Byrne
- Seven Years On: Revisiting the Death of Dawn Brancheau
- BREAKING: Pacific White-Sided Dolphins Captured in Taiji
- Hunters Joyous as Risso’s Fight to Stay Alive
- Activists to Korea: Stop Importing Taiji-Caught Dolphins