In Photos: From Sea to Stage
Thinking of visiting a marine park or aquarium over the spring break? Ever wonder where the performing dolphins come from? With over 150 orders for live dolphins from Taiji, Japan during the 2015/16 drive season, many of these “entertainers” would have been caught from wild waters. Thrashing and vocalizing in panic, separated from their decimated pod, hauled via truck and/or air, these sentient and sensitive mammals are forever imprisoned in manmade facilities, forced into their new “lives” with absolutely no regard for their unique needs – needs which have been cultivated over millions of years of evolution.
As visuals often speak louder than words, take a look at the photos we’ve assembled, from the moment of capture to the transfer of dolphins to their buyers.
It’s not about tradition or culture. It’s all about profit and greed, powered by the engine of the captivity industry. The real money is made in the trade of dolphins to aquariums and marine parks. Taiji is ground zero for the largest trafficking of dolphins in the world.” ~ Ric O’Barry, Founder/Director, Dolphin Project
HOW YOU CAN HELP:
Your help in supporting our campaign in Taiji is greatly appreciated and needed. Click here to donate.
Ric O’Barry’s Dolphin Project is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization in the USA (Tax ID 47-1665067), and donations are tax-deductible.
Featured image: Family of bottlenose dolphins await their fate after being trapped overnight in The Cove, Taiji, Japan, 2-6-16
Photo credit: Heather Hill & Ivana Grubisic/Dolphin Project
- VIDEO: California Dreamin’ - October 21, 2016
- Brutality in the Cove as Striped Dolphins Slaughtered - October 19, 2016
- BREAKING: TripAdvisor to End Ticket Sales to Captive Wild Animal Acts - October 12, 2016
- Update: Atlantis Confirms 1st U.S. Resort to be Built in Oahu - October 1, 2016
- Breaking: SeaWorld’s “New” Attractions Just Same Old, Same Old - September 27, 2016
- Taiji’s Payday As 26 Dolphins Stolen for “Life” in Captivity - September 24, 2016
- “They’re Gone” – Pilot Whales Slaughtered in the Cove - September 19, 2016
- Awaiting ‘Fate’ – The Cruel Decimation of Two Pods - September 18, 2016
- Sold Into Servitude – “I’ll Take The Baby” - September 17, 2016
- Breaking: Two Species of Dolphins Brutally Captured in Taiji’s Hunts - September 16, 2016
It might be true that we don't recall many moments from our early years. However, Cara's first memory of a dolphin had her begging her parents to ask the trainer to let the dolphin go! The problem with captivity was evident to her, even as a 4 year-old child.
A writer by trade, Cara has researched, investigated and documented dolphins suffering in captivity. From documenting dolphins incarcerated in buildings, cut-off from fresh air, sunlight and normal socialization to researching cases of animals imprisoned in solitary confinement, Cara is a dedicated dolphin welfare advocate.
It is her belief that education equals empowerment. The more information shared, the better our choices and knowledge of how to act as a positive and respectful voice for dolphins across the world.
Cara is based out of Canada and makes time whenever possible to observe dolphins in their natural environments. She is writing her first fiction novel but knowing her, the marine world will play a prominent role in her book!
"The use of animals for entertainment is nothing more than an abuse of dominance. Some of the most sentient species on the planet have been exploited to incomprehensible levels, all due to their inherent benevolence. Ironic, considering that we turn to the abused themselves for displays of humanity."
~ Cara Sands
- Make a Difference for Dolphins
- VIDEO: California Dreamin’
- Brutality in the Cove as Striped Dolphins Slaughtered
- BREAKING: TripAdvisor to End Ticket Sales to Captive Wild Animal Acts
- Manby-Pacelle Pact: Hot Air and Hollow Words on Dolphin Drives
- Update: Atlantis Confirms 1st U.S. Resort to be Built in Oahu