May 7 is Empty the Tanks!
Three years ago, after visiting Taiji, Japan and witnessing the atrocities committed there, Rachel Carbary began Empty the Tanks – a yearly public awareness and protest event that gives a voice to all captive dolphins and other whales.
DP: When is this year’s event?
RC: This year’s Empty the Tanks event is on May 7, 2016, worldwide.
DP: What made you focus on captivity upon your return from Taiji?
RC: After seeing the direct link between the dolphin slaughters and the captivity industry, I felt like I needed to do more. There are dolphins and whales suffering in captivity across the world and I wanted to be a voice for them.
DP: What is the main message of Empty the Tanks?
RC: This is a global event where activists can stand together and speak out against captivity. Our mission is to reach the general public in a positive and productive way. Marine entertainment parks have no place in our world, as they are nothing more than animal slavery institutions. Dolphins and other whales are incredibly social, intelligent beings that are being exploited to make money, and this needs to be brought to people’s attention.
DP: Are you advocating the release of all captive cetaceans?
RC: No, because not all captive cetaceans are good candidates for release. The ones that aren’t however, should be retired into sea sanctuaries. One thing is for certain: no dolphin or whale should be held imprisoned in concrete tanks.
DP: What is the scope of this year’s event?
RC: This year we have 60 locations spanning across 22 countries participating in the 4th annual Empty the Tanks.
DP: How can people get involved?
RC: Please visit our Events page on our website, Empty the Tanks to join an event or create one. Please join us and help get the message out. Together we can make a stand and empty the tanks worldwide.
May all beings be wild and free ~ Rachel
- VIDEO: California Dreamin’ - October 21, 2016
- Brutality in the Cove as Striped Dolphins Slaughtered - October 19, 2016
- BREAKING: TripAdvisor to End Ticket Sales to Captive Wild Animal Acts - October 12, 2016
- Update: Atlantis Confirms 1st U.S. Resort to be Built in Oahu - October 1, 2016
- Breaking: SeaWorld’s “New” Attractions Just Same Old, Same Old - September 27, 2016
- Taiji’s Payday As 26 Dolphins Stolen for “Life” in Captivity - September 24, 2016
- “They’re Gone” – Pilot Whales Slaughtered in the Cove - September 19, 2016
- Awaiting ‘Fate’ – The Cruel Decimation of Two Pods - September 18, 2016
- Sold Into Servitude – “I’ll Take The Baby” - September 17, 2016
- Breaking: Two Species of Dolphins Brutally Captured in Taiji’s Hunts - September 16, 2016
It might be true that we don't recall many moments from our early years. However, Cara's first memory of a dolphin had her begging her parents to ask the trainer to let the dolphin go! The problem with captivity was evident to her, even as a 4 year-old child.
A writer by trade, Cara has researched, investigated and documented dolphins suffering in captivity. From documenting dolphins incarcerated in buildings, cut-off from fresh air, sunlight and normal socialization to researching cases of animals imprisoned in solitary confinement, Cara is a dedicated dolphin welfare advocate.
It is her belief that education equals empowerment. The more information shared, the better our choices and knowledge of how to act as a positive and respectful voice for dolphins across the world.
Cara is based out of Canada and makes time whenever possible to observe dolphins in their natural environments. She is writing her first fiction novel but knowing her, the marine world will play a prominent role in her book!
"The use of animals for entertainment is nothing more than an abuse of dominance. Some of the most sentient species on the planet have been exploited to incomprehensible levels, all due to their inherent benevolence. Ironic, considering that we turn to the abused themselves for displays of humanity."
~ Cara Sands
- Make a Difference for Dolphins
- VIDEO: California Dreamin’
- Brutality in the Cove as Striped Dolphins Slaughtered
- BREAKING: TripAdvisor to End Ticket Sales to Captive Wild Animal Acts
- Manby-Pacelle Pact: Hot Air and Hollow Words on Dolphin Drives
- Update: Atlantis Confirms 1st U.S. Resort to be Built in Oahu