Ollie Blackmore Cycles Mount Fuji for Dolphin Project
After the success of last year’s Cycle Challenge Japan, where he cycled 2,316km unsupported, Ollie Blackmore is getting back on his bike in peak typhoon season to help put a stop to dolphin hunts in Taiji, Japan.
This July, he will be concentrating his endurance challenge on the biggest mountain in Japan: Mount Fuji. Over the course of 11 days, Ollie will cycle up Mt. Fuji as many times as possible, totaling around 25-30 ascents by bike. On two days he will ride up to the 5th stations and climb to the summit on foot. This will be out of season with no support.
I can’t sit back and continue to see the cruelty and murder in Taiji where thousands of dolphins are killed and forced into captivity every year. With Ric O’Barry now banned from Japan, I’m even more determined to make this cycling challenge count.” ~ Ollie Blackmore
In less than three months, the brutal capture and slaughter of dolphins will take place in the infamous cove in Taiji, Japan. Between the months of September and March, approximately 2000 dolphins of various species, including bottlenose dolphins, striped dolphins, Risso’s dolphins, Pacific white-sided dolphins, pilot whales, false killer whales and pantropical spotted dolphins will be subject to harassment, injury, capture and slaughter, all in the name of profit, greed and ignorance.
Continues Ollie, “Before I start, I’ll cycle from Tokyo to Futo to finally meet Izumi Ishii, an ex-dolphin hunter. I’ll then cover 1,770km in 11 days and climb 155,000ft in that time.”
Ollie hopes to set several world records as part of the challenge, including: most ascents up Mount Fuji on a bicycle in 9 days; fastest time to ascend of all 4 road climbs up Mt. Fuji in a day (Most ascents up Mt. Fuji in 24 hours); and most consecutive climbs up Mt. Fuji on a bicycle.
Have a goal you’ve always wanted to accomplish? Create your own Crowdrise fundraiser.
- Unbearable Acts of Cruelty Against Striped Dolphins - October 26, 2016
- VIDEO: California Dreamin’ - October 21, 2016
- Brutality in the Cove as Striped Dolphins Slaughtered - October 19, 2016
- BREAKING: TripAdvisor to End Ticket Sales to Captive Wild Animal Acts - October 12, 2016
- Update: Atlantis Confirms 1st U.S. Resort to be Built in Oahu - October 1, 2016
- Breaking: SeaWorld’s “New” Attractions Just Same Old, Same Old - September 27, 2016
- Taiji’s Payday As 26 Dolphins Stolen for “Life” in Captivity - September 24, 2016
- “They’re Gone” – Pilot Whales Slaughtered in the Cove - September 19, 2016
- Awaiting ‘Fate’ – The Cruel Decimation of Two Pods - September 18, 2016
- Sold Into Servitude – “I’ll Take The Baby” - September 17, 2016
It might be true that we don't recall many moments from our early years. However, Cara's first memory of a dolphin had her begging her parents to ask the trainer to let the dolphin go! The problem with captivity was evident to her, even as a 4 year-old child.
A writer by trade, Cara has researched, investigated and documented dolphins suffering in captivity. From documenting dolphins incarcerated in buildings, cut-off from fresh air, sunlight and normal socialization to researching cases of animals imprisoned in solitary confinement, Cara is a dedicated dolphin welfare advocate.
It is her belief that education equals empowerment. The more information shared, the better our choices and knowledge of how to act as a positive and respectful voice for dolphins across the world.
Cara is based out of Canada and makes time whenever possible to observe dolphins in their natural environments. She is writing her first fiction novel but knowing her, the marine world will play a prominent role in her book!
"The use of animals for entertainment is nothing more than an abuse of dominance. Some of the most sentient species on the planet have been exploited to incomprehensible levels, all due to their inherent benevolence. Ironic, considering that we turn to the abused themselves for displays of humanity."
~ Cara Sands
- Unbearable Acts of Cruelty Against Striped Dolphins
- Make a Difference for Dolphins
- VIDEO: California Dreamin’
- Brutality in the Cove as Striped Dolphins Slaughtered
- BREAKING: TripAdvisor to End Ticket Sales to Captive Wild Animal Acts
- Manby-Pacelle Pact: Hot Air and Hollow Words on Dolphin Drives