Ric O’Barry and Maisie Williams to Skydive for Dolphins
Why would anyone jump out of a perfectly good airplane? To raise awareness and dollars for dolphins, of course!” ~ Ric O’Barry
Taking the proverb, “two is company” to heart, Ric will now be joining Game of Thrones star and Dolphin Project Ambassador Maisie Williams in a skydive for dolphins. Ric’s 76th birthday is on October 14, so he felt this was a great way to celebrate the occasion.
Together on October 17, they will jump out of an airplane at 15,000ft to raise awareness and funds for Dolphin Project. Maisie’s original jump was rescheduled due to inclement weather, but, no matter the date, she is hoping to inspire others to think outside the box to bring the plight of captive dolphins to the masses.
Skydiving is something I have done before and enjoyed so much, so I thought, why not do it for a good cause? Doing wild things for charity brings more attention to topics I feel are really important.” ~ Maisie Williams
Your support couldn’t come at a more crucial time. With our Cove Monitors on the ground in Taiji, Japan for the next six months, funds are urgently needed for us to continue documenting the dolphin drive hunts, for the rest of the world to see.
Help support either Team Ric or Team Maisie below. All funds go to supporting Ric O’Barry’s Dolphin Project:
- VIDEO: California Dreamin’ - October 21, 2016
- Brutality in the Cove as Striped Dolphins Slaughtered - October 19, 2016
- BREAKING: TripAdvisor to End Ticket Sales to Captive Wild Animal Acts - October 12, 2016
- Update: Atlantis Confirms 1st U.S. Resort to be Built in Oahu - October 1, 2016
- Breaking: SeaWorld’s “New” Attractions Just Same Old, Same Old - September 27, 2016
- Taiji’s Payday As 26 Dolphins Stolen for “Life” in Captivity - September 24, 2016
- “They’re Gone” – Pilot Whales Slaughtered in the Cove - September 19, 2016
- Awaiting ‘Fate’ – The Cruel Decimation of Two Pods - September 18, 2016
- Sold Into Servitude – “I’ll Take The Baby” - September 17, 2016
- Breaking: Two Species of Dolphins Brutally Captured in Taiji’s Hunts - September 16, 2016
It might be true that we don't recall many moments from our early years. However, Cara's first memory of a dolphin had her begging her parents to ask the trainer to let the dolphin go! The problem with captivity was evident to her, even as a 4 year-old child.
A writer by trade, Cara has researched, investigated and documented dolphins suffering in captivity. From documenting dolphins incarcerated in buildings, cut-off from fresh air, sunlight and normal socialization to researching cases of animals imprisoned in solitary confinement, Cara is a dedicated dolphin welfare advocate.
It is her belief that education equals empowerment. The more information shared, the better our choices and knowledge of how to act as a positive and respectful voice for dolphins across the world.
Cara is based out of Canada and makes time whenever possible to observe dolphins in their natural environments. She is writing her first fiction novel but knowing her, the marine world will play a prominent role in her book!
"The use of animals for entertainment is nothing more than an abuse of dominance. Some of the most sentient species on the planet have been exploited to incomprehensible levels, all due to their inherent benevolence. Ironic, considering that we turn to the abused themselves for displays of humanity."
~ Cara Sands
- Make a Difference for Dolphins
- VIDEO: California Dreamin’
- Brutality in the Cove as Striped Dolphins Slaughtered
- BREAKING: TripAdvisor to End Ticket Sales to Captive Wild Animal Acts
- Manby-Pacelle Pact: Hot Air and Hollow Words on Dolphin Drives
- Update: Atlantis Confirms 1st U.S. Resort to be Built in Oahu