Breaking: SeaWorld’s Deep Decline in 2nd Quarter 2016 Results
Half a million people can’t be wrong…
…494,000 (to be exact) fewer people attended SeaWorld’s park locations in the second quarter of 2016 as compared to last year, according to a press release issued this morning by SeaWorld Entertainment Inc. That’s a 7.6 percent decline in attendance. Total revenues are down by $20.5 million, compared to the second quarter of 2015.
This report follows on the heels of the company’s first quarter 2016 results, where SeaWorld reported a staggering net loss of $84 million compared to a net loss of $43.6 million in the first quarter of 2015.
What do all these numbers mean?
People like you are making a difference.
It’s NOT okay to keep dolphins and other whales in captivity.
In an age where it’s mainstream knowledge that keeping dolphins and other whales in captivity was a failed experiment, with the National Aquarium in Baltimore leading the pack with plans to retire their dolphins to a seaside sanctuary, it’s no wonder SeaWorld is tanking.
Too big to fail? We think, not.
SeaWorld’s refusal to acknowledge the real reasons behind their deep profit loss could result in a collapse of their present business model. Their refusal to allow for the retirement of dolphins and other whales has not gone unnoticed by the paying public.
Our focus remains on implementing and delivering on our strategic plan of creating experiences that matter, providing distinct guest experiences that are fun and meaningful…” ~ Joel Manby, President and Chief Executive Officer, SeaWorld Entertainment Inc.
Experiences that don’t matter to the animals, and are clearly not mattering to people, either.
How to Help
SeaWorld went public on April 19, 2013 at $27 per share, rising 24 percent on its debut. From its all-time high of $39.65 hit on May 20, 2013, the stock is down over 50 percent. In the last 12 months alone, the stock has declined 4.5 percent.
Featured image: Creative Commons 3.0 License /Sawblade5
Ric O’Barry’s Dolphin Project is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization in the USA (Tax ID 47-1665067), and donations are fully tax-deductible.
- BREAKING: Terror, Injuries During Day 3 of Captive Selection - January 22, 2017
- BREAKING: Real-Time Brutality in Cove as Dolphins Held Another Night - January 21, 2017
- BREAKING: Massive Pod of Bottlenose Dolphins Captured in Taiji - January 20, 2017
- Anatomy of a Slaughter: In Photos - January 17, 2017
- Breaking: Tilikum, the Blackfish Whale is Dead - January 6, 2017
- SeaWorld Says: No to Show, Yes to Captivity - January 4, 2017
- Breaking: Nets Allegedly Cut at Captive Dolphin Facility in Taiji - January 4, 2017
- Happiness is Freedom ~ Peace to All - December 29, 2016
- Breaking: Barcelona Zoo Dolphinarium to Close - December 24, 2016
- Counting the Dead: Taiji’s Expendable Dolphins - December 21, 2016
It might be true that we don't recall many moments from our early years. However, Cara's first memory of a dolphin had her begging her parents to ask the trainer to let the dolphin go! The problem with captivity was evident to her, even as a 4 year-old child.
A writer by trade, Cara has researched, investigated and documented dolphins suffering in captivity. From documenting dolphins incarcerated in buildings, cut-off from fresh air, sunlight and normal socialization to researching cases of animals imprisoned in solitary confinement, Cara is a dedicated dolphin welfare advocate.
It is her belief that education equals empowerment. The more information shared, the better our choices and knowledge of how to act as a positive and respectful voice for dolphins across the world.
Cara is based out of Canada and makes time whenever possible to observe dolphins in their natural environments. She is writing her first fiction novel but knowing her, the marine world will play a prominent role in her book!
"The use of animals for entertainment is nothing more than an abuse of dominance. Some of the most sentient species on the planet have been exploited to incomprehensible levels, all due to their inherent benevolence. Ironic, considering that we turn to the abused themselves for displays of humanity."
~ Cara Sands
- BREAKING: Terror, Injuries During Day 3 of Captive Selection
- BREAKING: Real-Time Brutality in Cove as Dolphins Held Another Night
- BREAKING: Massive Pod of Bottlenose Dolphins Captured in Taiji
- Three Years an Angel
- Anatomy of a Slaughter: In Photos
- Paradise Lost: Dolphin Cruelty Issues Growing in Indonesia