The Sky’s the Limit!
High above the English countryside, Ric O’Barry and Maisie Williams proved being an advocate for dolphins doesn’t just involve activities on the ground. In fact, on October 17, the pair jumped out of a perfectly good airplane and into the big blue – the sky that is – in their skydive to raise awareness and dollars for dolphins.
“The jump was fantastic! As an ambassador for Dolphin Project, I was so happy to be able to raise money and awareness for their amazing cause. It was so much fun to celebrate Ric’s 76th birthday by jumping out of a plane 15000 feet in the air!” ~ Game of Thrones star and Dolphin Project Ambassador Maisie Williams
“What a great day spent with Maisie Williams,” said Ric. “A most interesting lady indeed. Fearless.”
“We got into the plane behind us and jumped out at 15000 feet, free falling at more than 120 miles per hour for 60 seconds. (A full minute is a very long time when you are falling to earth.) At 3500 feet the parachute opened and the beautiful, English countryside began to reveal itself. An absolutely breathtaking experience.” ~ Ric O’Barry
In fact, it was so cool that Ric and Maisie decided to make it an annual event.
Have an idea that’s outside the box? A creative and innovative way to help support Dolphin Project and bring the plight of captive dolphins to the masses? Hop over to our CrowdRise page and put your imagination to a great cause!
With our Cove Monitors physically present in Taiji, Japan to document the brutal dolphin hunts for the entire 2015/2016 season, your help is urgently needed – and appreciated. Maisie herself will be going to Taiji later in the season as a Dolphin Project Cove Monitor.
Shop cool Dolphin Project gear, including Maisie’s “Does anybody like dolphins?” shirt.
- Unbearable Acts of Cruelty Against Striped Dolphins - October 26, 2016
- VIDEO: California Dreamin’ - October 21, 2016
- Brutality in the Cove as Striped Dolphins Slaughtered - October 19, 2016
- BREAKING: TripAdvisor to End Ticket Sales to Captive Wild Animal Acts - October 12, 2016
- Update: Atlantis Confirms 1st U.S. Resort to be Built in Oahu - October 1, 2016
- Breaking: SeaWorld’s “New” Attractions Just Same Old, Same Old - September 27, 2016
- Taiji’s Payday As 26 Dolphins Stolen for “Life” in Captivity - September 24, 2016
- “They’re Gone” – Pilot Whales Slaughtered in the Cove - September 19, 2016
- Awaiting ‘Fate’ – The Cruel Decimation of Two Pods - September 18, 2016
- Sold Into Servitude – “I’ll Take The Baby” - September 17, 2016
It might be true that we don't recall many moments from our early years. However, Cara's first memory of a dolphin had her begging her parents to ask the trainer to let the dolphin go! The problem with captivity was evident to her, even as a 4 year-old child.
A writer by trade, Cara has researched, investigated and documented dolphins suffering in captivity. From documenting dolphins incarcerated in buildings, cut-off from fresh air, sunlight and normal socialization to researching cases of animals imprisoned in solitary confinement, Cara is a dedicated dolphin welfare advocate.
It is her belief that education equals empowerment. The more information shared, the better our choices and knowledge of how to act as a positive and respectful voice for dolphins across the world.
Cara is based out of Canada and makes time whenever possible to observe dolphins in their natural environments. She is writing her first fiction novel but knowing her, the marine world will play a prominent role in her book!
"The use of animals for entertainment is nothing more than an abuse of dominance. Some of the most sentient species on the planet have been exploited to incomprehensible levels, all due to their inherent benevolence. Ironic, considering that we turn to the abused themselves for displays of humanity."
~ Cara Sands
- Unbearable Acts of Cruelty Against Striped Dolphins
- Make a Difference for Dolphins
- VIDEO: California Dreamin’
- Brutality in the Cove as Striped Dolphins Slaughtered
- BREAKING: TripAdvisor to End Ticket Sales to Captive Wild Animal Acts
- Manby-Pacelle Pact: Hot Air and Hollow Words on Dolphin Drives