VIDEO: Kayaking with Orcas
The moment Nathan Pettigrew reached the other side of Mount Maunganui, in New Zealand, two large orcas shot past him, swimming in the opposite direction. The weather couldn’t have been better for him to launch his new kayak, with nothing but blue skies and no wind. He watched the beautiful mammals, basically stopping to let the two curious youngsters, along with the rest of the pod, interact and feed on eagle rays.
“A youngster comes up alongside my kayak and checks me out. There is something incredibly awesome about orcas, and for me, they have an intelligence that far outweighs anything else I’ve ever come across. Far too intelligent for a concrete tank. Buying tickets to facilities that hold captive dolphins and orcas supports that horrible ‘lifestyle’ for these animals, so do me favour, try to support whale watch organisations around the world and avoid places that hold these stunning creatures, captive.” ~ Nathan Pettigrew
Video credit: Nathan Pettigrew / YouTube
Featured image: Nathan Pettigrew
- Unbearable Acts of Cruelty Against Striped Dolphins - October 26, 2016
- VIDEO: California Dreamin’ - October 21, 2016
- Brutality in the Cove as Striped Dolphins Slaughtered - October 19, 2016
- BREAKING: TripAdvisor to End Ticket Sales to Captive Wild Animal Acts - October 12, 2016
- Update: Atlantis Confirms 1st U.S. Resort to be Built in Oahu - October 1, 2016
- Breaking: SeaWorld’s “New” Attractions Just Same Old, Same Old - September 27, 2016
- Taiji’s Payday As 26 Dolphins Stolen for “Life” in Captivity - September 24, 2016
- “They’re Gone” – Pilot Whales Slaughtered in the Cove - September 19, 2016
- Awaiting ‘Fate’ – The Cruel Decimation of Two Pods - September 18, 2016
- Sold Into Servitude – “I’ll Take The Baby” - September 17, 2016
It might be true that we don't recall many moments from our early years. However, Cara's first memory of a dolphin had her begging her parents to ask the trainer to let the dolphin go! The problem with captivity was evident to her, even as a 4 year-old child.
A writer by trade, Cara has researched, investigated and documented dolphins suffering in captivity. From documenting dolphins incarcerated in buildings, cut-off from fresh air, sunlight and normal socialization to researching cases of animals imprisoned in solitary confinement, Cara is a dedicated dolphin welfare advocate.
It is her belief that education equals empowerment. The more information shared, the better our choices and knowledge of how to act as a positive and respectful voice for dolphins across the world.
Cara is based out of Canada and makes time whenever possible to observe dolphins in their natural environments. She is writing her first fiction novel but knowing her, the marine world will play a prominent role in her book!
"The use of animals for entertainment is nothing more than an abuse of dominance. Some of the most sentient species on the planet have been exploited to incomprehensible levels, all due to their inherent benevolence. Ironic, considering that we turn to the abused themselves for displays of humanity."
~ Cara Sands
- Unbearable Acts of Cruelty Against Striped Dolphins
- Make a Difference for Dolphins
- VIDEO: California Dreamin’
- Brutality in the Cove as Striped Dolphins Slaughtered
- BREAKING: TripAdvisor to End Ticket Sales to Captive Wild Animal Acts
- Manby-Pacelle Pact: Hot Air and Hollow Words on Dolphin Drives