VIDEO: Ric O’Barry Addresses Dutch Parliament on Dolphin Captivity
‘Living’ is doing things, not going around in circles in concrete boxes.” ~ Ric O’Barry, Founder/Director of Dolphin Project
THE HAGUE, 6/8/16: Ric O’Barry was invited to speak during a meeting of the House of Representatives, in The Hague, Netherlands, at the invitation of PvdD (Party for the Animals) politician, Frank Wassenberg. His address was part of a larger itinerary during his visit to Holland, calling for the captivity of dolphins and other whales to be abolished.
Says O’Barry, “Banning captivity sends a powerful message regarding Holland’s respect for nature. You have everything to gain, and nothing to lose, from your support of cruelty-free entertainment.”
- Multiple Species of Dolphins Decimated in The Cove - October 11, 2017
- Taiji to Unite with Faroese in Sister City Agreement - October 4, 2017
- Pilot Whale Pod Decimated in Taiji’s Dolphin Hunts - September 5, 2017
- Voices Across the World Condemn Japan’s Dolphin Slaughters - September 4, 2017
- Breaking: Pilot Whales Captured in First Hunt of Season - September 3, 2017
- Dolphin Project Returns to Taiji - August 29, 2017
- Breaking: Kasatka Dies at SeaWorld - August 16, 2017
- Op Ed: A Departure from Reality - August 10, 2017
- BREAKING: SeaWorld Tanks in 2Q and 1st Half 2017 Results - August 8, 2017
- BREAKING: Adios to Dolphin Shows in Mexico City - August 2, 2017
It might be true that we don't recall many moments from our early years. However, Cara's first memory of a dolphin had her begging her parents to ask the trainer to let the dolphin go! The problem with captivity was evident to her, even as a 4 year-old child.
A writer by trade, Cara has researched, investigated and documented dolphins suffering in captivity. From documenting dolphins incarcerated in buildings, cut-off from fresh air, sunlight and normal socialization to researching cases of animals imprisoned in solitary confinement, Cara is a dedicated dolphin welfare advocate.
It is her belief that education equals empowerment. The more information shared, the better our choices and knowledge of how to act as a positive and respectful voice for dolphins across the world.
Cara is based out of Canada and makes time whenever possible to observe dolphins in their natural environments. She is writing her first fiction novel but knowing her, the marine world will play a prominent role in her book!
"The use of animals for entertainment is nothing more than an abuse of dominance. Some of the most sentient species on the planet have been exploited to incomprehensible levels, all due to their inherent benevolence. Ironic, considering that we turn to the abused themselves for displays of humanity."
~ Cara Sands
- Multiple Species of Dolphins Decimated in The Cove
- Taiji to Unite with Faroese in Sister City Agreement
- Terror in The Cove as Pilot Whales Slaughtered
- Migrating Family of Risso’s Dolphins Slaughtered in The Cove
- When Natural Disasters and Captive Cetaceans Collide
- The Path to Progress Begins with Education