Voices Across the World Condemn Japan’s Dolphin Slaughters
A big SHOUT OUT to everyone who lent their voices on behalf of dolphins on Japan Dolphins Day. Approximately 40 events were held across the world on/around September 1st, showing Japan that ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!
What’s happening in Taiji, Japan? – Between the months of September and March, an annual slaughter of dolphins takes places off the coast of Taiji, Japan. This year, an “official” 1940 dolphins of various species including bottlenose dolphins, striped dolphins, Risso’s dolphins, Pacific white-sided dolphins, pilot whales, false killer whales, pantropical spotted dolphins, rough-toothed dolphins and melon-headed whales will be subject to harassment, injury, capture and slaughter — all in the name of greed and ignorance. Many more dolphins will be killed in the process of the hunts, their numbers never recorded. Learn more about Taiji’s dolphin hunts.
Did you know – Dolphin Project is the only organization who has been on the ground at The Cove since 2003, documenting the dolphin hunts?
For Dolphin Project, every day of the dolphin hunts is Japan Dolphins Day – Our team of Cove Monitors will be there throughout the entire hunting season, broadcasting live from the cove, blogging and disseminating information for the world to see. Your support has never been more crucial and is greatly appreciated.
Curious about Dolphin Project’s Cove Monitor Program? – Click here to learn more about our program, and submit your application.
Watch a clip from #JDD2017 London, where Ric O’Barry and other activists lent their voices for dolphins:
Featured image: #JDD London
- Pilot Whale Pod Decimated in Taiji’s Dolphin Hunts - September 5, 2017
- Voices Across the World Condemn Japan’s Dolphin Slaughters - September 4, 2017
- Breaking: Pilot Whales Captured in First Hunt of Season - September 3, 2017
- Dolphin Project Returns to Taiji - August 29, 2017
- Breaking: Kasatka Dies at SeaWorld - August 16, 2017
- Op Ed: A Departure from Reality - August 10, 2017
- BREAKING: SeaWorld Tanks in 2Q and 1st Half 2017 Results - August 8, 2017
- BREAKING: Adios to Dolphin Shows in Mexico City - August 2, 2017
- Peggy Oki: Inspiration through Action! - July 25, 2017
- Breaking: SeaWorld’s Baby Orca Kyara is Dead - July 24, 2017
It might be true that we don't recall many moments from our early years. However, Cara's first memory of a dolphin had her begging her parents to ask the trainer to let the dolphin go! The problem with captivity was evident to her, even as a 4 year-old child.
A writer by trade, Cara has researched, investigated and documented dolphins suffering in captivity. From documenting dolphins incarcerated in buildings, cut-off from fresh air, sunlight and normal socialization to researching cases of animals imprisoned in solitary confinement, Cara is a dedicated dolphin welfare advocate.
It is her belief that education equals empowerment. The more information shared, the better our choices and knowledge of how to act as a positive and respectful voice for dolphins across the world.
Cara is based out of Canada and makes time whenever possible to observe dolphins in their natural environments. She is writing her first fiction novel but knowing her, the marine world will play a prominent role in her book!
"The use of animals for entertainment is nothing more than an abuse of dominance. Some of the most sentient species on the planet have been exploited to incomprehensible levels, all due to their inherent benevolence. Ironic, considering that we turn to the abused themselves for displays of humanity."
~ Cara Sands
- When Natural Disasters and Captive Cetaceans Collide
- The Path to Progress Begins with Education
- Pilot Whale Pod Decimated in Taiji’s Dolphin Hunts
- Voices Across the World Condemn Japan’s Dolphin Slaughters
- Breaking: Pilot Whales Captured in First Hunt of Season
- Dolphin Project Returns to Taiji