Participate in JAPAN DOLPHINS DAY with Ric O’Barry’s Dolphin Project
September 1, 2015
We’re calling on individuals, activists and organizations across the world to participate with us in this International Day of Action
As most of you know, the capture and slaughter of dolphins takes place in the infamous cove in Taiji, Japan, every year on or shortly after September 1st.
The Taiji dolphin hunters, along with dolphin trainers, will capture and kill about 2000 dolphins in the cove from September through April. However, we ARE making a difference, as last year the hunts ended a month early, with fewer dolphins killed.
We CAN do something to end this massacre – by letting the Japanese government and the World Association of Zoos and Aquariums (WAZA) know that these crimes against nature are unacceptable to the rest of the world. We must speak out against this atrocity loudly and proudly, while enlightening others who may not be aware of the dolphin killings in Taiji.
A POSITIVE EVENT for Japan Dolphins
Our goal is to spotlight the killing of dolphins in Taiji, as well as throughout Japan. *Please see our cautionary note on messaging below.
We will gain more support in our positivity, rather than protesting against the slaughter. In fact, some NGO’s won't participate in protests. Therefore, our plan is to organize an International Day of Action in several cities across the world. Our goal is to make this the biggest global event celebrating Japan dolphins yet.
Please note that this will be an all-inclusive event. In other words, the celebration will not take place under the umbrella of any one group. The events will be carried out by all of us, on a equal basis. Each group represents itself and will contact the media in their city with their own press release.
Because of the international acclaim for the Academy Award Winning movie, The Cove, the world will again be watching the cove on September 1st. Let’s not miss this great opportunity to bring worldwide attention to this critical issue on opening day.
If you do only ONE THING for the environment this year, please make it THIS ONE THING. Remember – the world is watching!
Ric O’Barry and the Dolphin Project Cove Monitor Team will be in Taiji, Japan, at the Cove on September 1. We welcome people from around the world to join us there. If you can’t join us in Taiji, organize or join an event in your city for Japan Dolphins Day.
* NOTE ON POSITIVE MESSAGING:
We strongly urge you to make your message a positive one:
- Dolphins and whales in the wild are worth more alive than dead.
- Captivity kills! Don’t buy a ticket to a dolphinarium.
- We support the Japanese peoples’ rights to learn the truth about the contamination of dolphin and whale meat. Our concerns include the people of Japan, who should not be consuming meat laced with mercury and radioactivity.
- Japan can rebuild its damaged economy using eco-tourism and green policies rather than perpetuating the dolphin hunts of the past.
- Many Japanese don’t know about the drive fishery killing of dolphins and actually oppose it when they understand what is happening.
- Tourism is a major industry in Japan, along with a growing whale and dolphin-watching operation.